What's New @ The Library
Happy Fourth Of July
Celebrate The 4th of July weekend with parades, fireworks, food and more...
Have a safe and happy Fourth of July !!!
On Your Mark... Get Set... Read!!!
Join us for ON YOUR MARK... GET SET... READ!!! - a Summer Reading Club on Wednesdays at 10:30am at Watertown Library
Programs will run June 29, 2016 through August 10, 2016.
- June 29, Wed - 10:30am: Evan Gottfried's Family Music Extravaganza.
Join us for an unforgettable, highly danceable, movin', groovin' time! Through songs, props and puppets, Evan's core message of love for others, oneself, and our planet is brought home.
He also believes in the value of being silly. Plan for lots of interaction!
- July 6, Wed - 10:30am: Read & Feed Your Imagination - Paul Merklein - Cartoonist.
Do you like to read? Do you like books, cartoons and graphic novels? Paul Merklein draws famous faces, and shows you how reading is food for your brain. Paul's program combines cartoons,
comedy and audience participation. Who will he draw next? Paul tours libraries, schools and comic cons around the country.
- July 13, Wed - 10:30am: Caps for Sale presented by The PuppeTree.
To celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Esphyr Slobodkina’s famous tale of the hat seller and mischievous monkeys, The PuppeTree has rewritten and rebuilt their highly successful
production to include the book's original art. One performer mistakes this story for one about a race. BUT…the mistake can be corrected by READING!! This new version is fun-filled and
tells the story with puppets from different cultures.
- July 20, Wed - 10:30am: Dancin with Hoops - Judi Ann Jones.
Musically fueled, interactive Hoop Dancing is designed to inspire and ignite creative movement, dance, self expression, play and laughter. Custom hula hoops will be available for
use. All ages are welcome to participate. ~That means adults in the audience, too!
- July 27, Wed - 10:30am: Matt Roberts - Illusionist.
Matt Roberts is a professional illusionist who will bring his hilarious comedy, astonishing visual magic, lots of fun audience participation, innovative original illusions,
skillful sleight-of-hand, a special how-to magic lesson and much more to Watertown Library! Matt has appeared nationally on PBS, FOX, NBC's Today Show and is onstage
annually at Boston Symphony Hall.
- August 3, Wed - 10:30am: Sirius Coyote Music.
Sirius Coyote, Giovanni Ciarlo and Kathleen Sartor, will have us singing, clapping and dancing as they play original songs in Spanish and English that address
contemporary cultural, social, and environmental issues. Many of their instruments are derived from ancient traditions of the Earth, and reflect the sounds occurring
in nature of the wind, birds, animals, waterfalls, oceans, the jungle and deserts. They also use guitar, flutes, drums and voice to engage the audience in music that
is both ancient and contemporary. Sirius Coyote brings to life the history and folklore of the Americas.
- August 10, Wed - 10:30am: Bubbleology.
Keith Michael Johnson Loves BUBBLES! He invents tools and tinkers with bubble solution, bringing the process to life in an engaging, quirky show that focuses on
the science and art of soap bubbles. At this program, there will be some serious science, astounding bubble creations and wacky inventions all brought with enthusiasm, humor and style.
Contact the Watertown Library at 860-945-5360 or WtnLib@watertownlibrary.org for more information. Flyers are available at both
the Watertown Library and the Oakville Branch Library.
Please Note: this year, in addition to filling out their Library Reading Logs, children and their families who are participating in Summer Reading Club are being asked to bring an item(s)
for the Watertown Food Bank. For each item brought to the Watertown Library during the seven weeks of the SRC, one chance will be entered to win one of 5 Amazon Fire Tablets.
A list of items the Watertown Food Bank is in need of is available at the Watertown Library.
Thank you for helping our Watertown community!!
These programs are free and open to the public.
Paint Like The Pros
From June 30, 2016 through August 4, 2016 the Watertown Library is offering 6 weeks of art lessons to students
aged 4 through 9 years of age on Thursdays.
These classes will be led by instructor is Emma Karpinski who has returned to Watertown after her first year at Penn State studying art and art education. As a senior at Watertown High,
Emma curated a WHS art show at the Watertown Library so we are thrilled to have her back for the summer.
During the classes, students will learn about a world famous artist each week and then create art in different mediums depending on the artist. The classes are broken out into two groups: 4 to 6 years and 7 to 9 years.
The art work created by the children will be displayed at the library. Schedules for the two sessions are as follows:
Session One: Children Ages 4-6, Thursdays, 11:00am-12:00noon, Watertown Library
- Jun 30, 2016 - Class One: Vincent van Gogh
- Jul 07, 2016 - Class Two: Pablo Picasso
- Jul 14, 2016 - Class Three: Keith Haring
- Jul 21. 2016 - Class Four: Andy Warhol
- Jul 28, 2016 - Class Five: Henri Matisse
- Aug 04, 2016 - Class Six: Georgia O’Keeffe
Session Two: Children Ages 7-9, Thursdays, 1:30pm-2:30pm, Watertown Library
- Jun 30, 2016 - Class One: Michelangelo
- Jul 07, 2016 - Class Two: Jackson Pollock
- Jul 14, 2016 - Class Three: Vincent van Gogh
- Jul 21. 2016 - Class Four: Frida Kahlo
- Jul 28, 2016 - Class Five: Alexander Calder
- Aug 04, 2016 - Class Six: Georges Seurat
Please Note: these classes are limited to 15 students each. Sign up is required. Contact the library at 860-945-5360 to register.
Children will not have to attend all 6 classes to participate. Hard copies of the class schedules are available at both the Watertown Library and the Oakville Branch Library.
The library has a wonderful collection of art related titles for children and it will be in full use this summer.
FRIENDS TUESDAY BOOK CLUB
FRIENDS TUESDAY BOOK CLUB 2016 - 2017 - Watertown Library (map) - TUESDAYS at 2PM (Hosted by Robin Osborn)
- September 6, 2016: Elena Ferrante, My Brilliant Friend
- October 4, 2016: Kennedy Odede & Jessica Posner, Find Me Unafraid
- November 1, 2016: Nina George, The Little Paris Bookshop
- December 6, 2016: Gabrielle Zevin, The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
- January 3, 2017: Jan Struther, Mrs. Miniver
- February 7, 2017: Carl Hiassen, Native Tongue
- March 7, 2017: Brian Payton, The Wind is Not a River
- April 4, 2017: Vanessa Diffenbaugh, The Language of Flowers
- May 2, 2017: John Steinbeck, Travels With Charley
- June 6, 2017: Amy Stewart, Girl Waits With Gun
Mystery Book Club
Mystery Book Club - Fall / Winter 2016 - 2017 - Watertown Library
- WEDNESDAYS at 7pm
- September 14, 2016: Anthony Horowitz, The House of Silk
- October 12, 2016: Preston & Child, White Fire
- November 16, 2016: Donna Leon, Death at La Fenice
- December 14, 2016: Dorothy Sayers, Strong Poison
- January 18, 2017: Martha Grimes, The Man With a Load of Mischief
- February 15, 2017: Ann Cleeves, Raven Black
Walk-Ins Are Always Welcome @ The Library
The Watertown Library is pleased to announce an ongoing program that is free and open to the public.
- Learn how to access and use ICONN - Connecticut's Research Engine
- Meet our team of professional librarians and get connected!
Information Sessions will be held every Friday between 1pm & 3pm at the main library.
If you know you want to attend:
please call the library at: 860-945-5360 or send an EMAIL to: email@example.com
Adults come join us for PUZZLEMANIA
Tuesdays, 10:00am at the Oakville Branch Library (55 Davis Street, Oakville).
Get together and build jigsaw puzzles. Refreshments and puzzles provided.
Bring a friend or two for some good old fashioned fun!.
Need more more information? Contact the library at (860) 945-5368.